Monday, December 28, 2009

13 days here. 9 to go.

Oh my gosh...INTERNET!!!!!!!

I have been at Riverside school for umpteen days with no connection to the outside world (save for a phone that costs an arm an a leg to use) and to actually be sitting at computer with access to the web is beyond awesome.

From the moment we arrived here it has been go go go. We have been doing many lectures and activities with the school, hospital, and kitchen staff on the importance of hand washing, sanitation, ect. Today we start nutrition. My tuuuurrrrrrn!

I have been learning a few telegu words, as I spend most of my down time playing with kids here or just hanging out with the staff. Christmas Eve we had the opportunity to visit an elderly home, which was humbling, to the say the least. It amazes me how these people live. Things we would never think of in America are a complete norm here. Many of the people at the home were literally bent over in a 90 degree angle because of the severity of their osteoperosis. One man couldn't walk, but actually scooted everywhere he went. I am not sure what was wrong with him but Jody said probably polio.

We also had the opportunity to go into a nearby village and do a medical clinic one day. (I can't remember the actual name of the place and I won't write what we called here. It's not exactly appropriate...) That was much like the elderly home in it's humbling. Stuck in a room for four hours, hot as hell, seeing patient after patient, (I just took vitals...cuz I'm clearly not qualified for real doctor stuff) but then you look out the window at chickens fighting over the shade under a palm tree, next to a house made from coconut leaves, and a woman coming over the hill with a massive jug of water atop her head. Suddenly the room doesn't seem quite as hot.
The trip has been incredibly productive, and incredibly rewarding. So far.

But all is not well in paradise. I'm not sure how much has been covered on news back home but there is much social unrest. When we arrived, the school had been shut down due to threats from political activists. There are many protesters (violent and peaceful) for both sides. However, I have not felt in danger one time. On several occasions, we walked right by masses of protesters in town. Not once were we bothered. We don't go places alone, of course. But we are safe on campus, and we never leave campus unaccompanied. And above all, we do NOT walk in fear. School has started again today, and it's nice to hear the noise of hundreds of kids in my ears.

There are many other stories I could share, but my time is limited, and I don't want to bore you too much.

I love you all, and if I don't have another chance to get on, I'll see you in 9 days!!
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment